Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Tia Now 12 weeks old!!!

Took Tia to the vet for her injections and she weighs 6.7kg at 12 weeks old, don't know if that is big or small but her brothers are 8kg.

We are working on the Shirley Chong Clicker Retrieve, we are up to step 13. I tick each step off and date it as I go. Hopefully her retrieve will improve by doing this. She tends to want to run off with the object, but does sometimes bring it back, but it is early days yet.

She has learnt to come to a whistle, which is very handy.

Still not really confident about swimming yet but I try to lure her into the water with food or using a rice cake with meat smeared on the top for her to swim after. It took my goofy flatcoated retriever 6 months to enjoy swimming and now look at him so I am not too worried. Her brother loves the water.



The water being used if from our creek, which we are allowed to use during water restrictions.

I took her for a walk on lead by herself, and clicked her for looking at me whilst walking, she was a little worried about the cars.

I have done some crate training using the book "Idiots Guide to Positive Dog Training" she gets fed in her crate every morning.

I have also been teaching her to go to the mat and lie down using Quick Clicks book.

Sometimes when I start to train her using shaping she is so happy to see me, she wants to jump on me and ignore the dumbell. I was at a Richard Curtis Seminar and he said he used to ignore the first 20 minutes of his dogs work.

Concerns
Her back legs don't move correctly when she runs, they tend to move in bunny rabbit fashion. The vet suggested hip displaysia but she wasn't really sure. I took her to a lady who does deep muscle massage and she thought Tia was very sore in the back.

Stays are still a problem area.

1 comment:

aussienut said...

Glad to hear she is doing so well! Hope her back clears up ok. Kinta is working great with her toys now - she wasn't really interested when she first came... didn't take her long to pick it up though!