Friday, March 02, 2007

Tia Now 20 weeks





Toilet Training
Is coming along really well, I would say we are there.

Crate Training
Have been working on this all week, using a method out Pam Dennison's "Idiots Guide to Positive Training" great book don't be put off by the title.
We are up to 15 minutes inside, in a crate without her whining. If I put a bone in their she can go even longer.

Running Around A Cone
Have been getting her to run around a cone from 5 feet away, she runs around the cone and comes back for the tug reward. Next I will put the cone in a corner to tighten up the turn.



Retrieving
She has no real drive for a tennis ball but will retrieve it for food. Before she gets fed she has to retrieve a tennis ball. So she has worked out that to get what she wants she needs to do what I want. I usually do this in the morning when she has her most energy. Went to Maxi's Supermarket yesterday and found a toy that has a rope with a tiny tennis ball on the end. I attached the tennis ball toy to the end of a horse whip and fling that around, she seems to enjoy this.

Herding
We are going to herding training on 11 March, 2007 hope to take a video. Have been told she has real talent for this. May end up just doing herding.

Stays
Drop stay is up to 10 seconds from 5 paces away on a good day. Sit stay about 3 paces 4 seconds. As soon as I say the word "stay" she tends to move and start sniffing. Tends to sniff a lot in the drop stay. Stand stay, only at my side a one forward at this stage. I am starting to add the "Stay" word while she is in position at my side and I am not moving any where. I think this is telling her what a stay is and just because I say a word doesn't mean she has to physically move and do something else.

Agility
We will be doing an Agility Assessment at Action Dogs. We will see how she goes in agility, if she is not driven and does not seem to enjoy we will not persist.

Obedience

Her heeling is coming along only do about 5 to 10 paces, of heeling where she is looking up at me. I click whenever she looks, if she loses interest and starts to sniff then I run away. Seems to be working a bit.

Swimming
Tia is now starting to go into water and swim only if Josh is already in. She will follow him in and start swimming. She will also only swim where she has swum before, and has to be at the exact same entry point. She will also follow me in as well. She is usually quite happy to walk up to her tummy. Once she starts swimming she gets more confident. We take her swimming about 4 - 5 times a week.

Appearance
Her new adult coat is starting to come in. Her ears are not sure what to do.

No comments: